Its my intention to breastfeed Widad since i was pregnant. I started to list out my breastfeeding wishlist, fulfilled it by buying the breastpump, nursing bra, attending breastfeeding preparation class, reading articles and books and now its time to use and apply what I’ve learnt before. Most of people claim that breastfeeding should come naturally and without doubt its true.
However, I’m having difficulty and almost defeated when my breast milk do not come out for 1st 3 day after Widad was born. Its so stressful as she kept on crying for milk and only few drop of colostrum coming out. Few drops which mean whenever i press my breast, either few drop coming out or not coming out at all. After reading this forum, I had identified reasons why my breast milk production is slowed and delayed
- Delayed stimulation from Widad – Should i blame the nurse on duty because passed Widad to me 4hours after birth. When they gave Widad to me, she sulks, refused to drink milk and was crying. Its not my fault as i kept on calling them after the perineum sewing part was done, but they ignored me and asked me to wait for doctor. Early stimulation is very important for colostrum production.
- Less demand Less supply – Most of the time Widad sleep and only drink milk when i woke she up. She less demand for milk, the milk production was delayed
Problems rise up during my breastfeeding journey
- Widad jaundiced – Since W less demand for milk, she did not poo from day 2 until day 4. Bilirubin in her body are not removed effectively only through urine and she was jaundiced with 2 phototherapy light for 2 days
- Sore nipple – After day 3, my breast milk heavily flow. She loves to soothe herself on my breast nipple by sucking it. Sometimes, she can fall asleep with my nipple inside her mouth
- Incorrect latch – Widad has a small mouth, sometimes she just suck my breast nipple not the whole areola area.
- Back and neck pain – Since breastfed Amirul, I do not mastered breastfeed in laying down position. Both Amirul and Widad both prefer to drink milk in cradle-hold position and causing their mummy’s back and neck pain
How i overcome the above situations
- Once the nurse gave Widad to me, I immediately put Widad on my breast and she quickly latched on it. Even tho she still in sulking mode, she latched well with my assistant
- Sore nipple – I can’t stop Widad from sucking and soothing herself on my breast, I will burp her every 20mins and she will continue sucking
- Incorrect latch – Assist Widad latch correctly on my breast. Once she open her mouth widely, i immediately put my areola area into her mouth and i can hear gulp sound
- Back & neck pain – Besides nursing pillow given by Mr Hubby, i still learn breastfeed Widad in laying down position
Note : This is my 1st story to Widad’s breastfeeding journey. There are still long journey to go and hopefully I will have a ‘smooth journey’ with less obstructions.