I’d started expressed my breastmilk since day 5 of confinement. Most of my EBM were place into liner. Alhamdulillah I’d managed to have almost 30packs of EBM in liner and 20 bottles of EBM before started working. Each liner and bottle I’d put approximately 3oz – 5oz.
What is the pro & con using liner to storage breastmilk:
- Minimize space usage in fridge
- Easily sealable (zipped lock style), Pre-sterilized
- Practical if you on travel/mobilise.
- Easily expose to contanimations during transmission from liner to milk bottle
- Not recyclable
- Difficult to arrage in fridge, untangled
What is pro & con using bottle to storage of breast-milk
- Less contamination
- Convenience , directly drink after warm up the bottle.
- Used a lot of space in fridge.
- Not pre-sterilized
My freezer stash
My fresh milk
EBM for nursery
From 730am to 6pm, Widad will drink 6 times, 3oz persession.This is how i managed my EBM for nursery.
- I’ll took 4pcs of EBM from my freezer stash and thaw it. The reason why i’d took 4pcs of EBM is because according to Dr Sears we need to used the oldest ones first then used the recently pump. However, it is most recomended if we could give the fresh milk to our baby. That why, i’ll take 4pcs of EBM from my freezer stash and 2 from fresh milk stash.
- I’ll took another 2 pcs of fresh breastmilk (breastmilk that been expressed a day before)
- After thawing the freezer EBM, I’d put them into the bottle. Each bottle I will do numbering. 1, 2, 3 & 4 for EBM from freezer stash and the last two for fresh milk will be number 5 & 6 – This numbering system is to help Widad’s caregiver to easily pick which milk goes 1st without check its label.
- After finished pouring EBM in liner into bottle and finished numbering, I’d put them into cooler bag and ready to nursery for Widad’s meal of the day
If you want to know more about milk storage according to Le Leche League International, click here
Besides LLLI, you can read from Dr Sears’s article about storing and handling EBM