1. A typical and consecutive father thinks that he is way above ‘taking care of his children’ task. For him, a man should think about how to survive, or how to feed a family needs.
2. A typical father thinks; He is the man of the family. He is the leader of the family. He is the one who brings foods and money, that keep the blood of the family circulating. He is the important guy, that all the members of his family depend on him. Cannot live without him.
3. And that guy is me because I’m always thinking like that.
4. So why I should give a concern about nursing my child? An important guy should not do the messy work. Why not let his mother take care of it? Besides, raising children is not my type of work. That work is so easy that my wife would miss a fortune if she give me a chance to intervene with wash-the-baby’s-poops thing. Well, I guess I should know more about rising kids then.. because I was totally wrong.
4. I was so wrong I was forced myself to change.
5. For the first time in my life, I’m getting involved in taking care of my children, and helping my wife with daily chores, and cleaning up every time my children attack my house with atomic bomb. This time I’m going to focus about my steps to develop a father’s bonding with his own children.
6. Below are my steps that I voluntarily decided to do (when every typical father and his reading newspaper calls it Kamikaze) :
- Midnight Bottle. It’s hard to open your eyes, even a millimeter. It’s getting harder when you have to make a bottle of milk. But 3 about month or so, I’m getting to use about it and I feel like sleepwalking; I hardly notice that I wake up consciously.
- Changing Diaper. I change my Amirul’s diaper most of the time. When he automatically stand in front of me, synchronously touching his diaper and make an awkward smile, I know I have to enforce my superhuman strength and change his diaper.
- Bathing together. I will not slip my chance to play a million bubbles with my children when weekend comes.
- Accompany him until he’s sleeping. I forget all my favorite TV series just to accompany him to sleep. What a sacrifice.
- Take a ride with him. Just when we tired of playing ball, pretend flying, and watching cartoon, I try to hit the road with him. It is fun.
- Go to shopping mall together. I only got a chance to do it once when my wife was at her mom’s house in Kelantan. That was when we rolling out together
7. When my friends ask me join weekly futsal, I said NO because I have to take of my children during night time. Instantly, they were smirking at me like I’m some kind of a joke.
8. That’s what you get when you put your family a light year in advance and everything else back in blackhole.
9. You leave your social friends, your hanging-out companions, and even your friendship system, just to building the true value of your family; Bonding With Your Children.
10. Your friends might joke, tease, or belittle you about how you can’t enjoy life after work. Well, I don’t give a damn about a single weight they said.