It’s already 3 month for Amirul becoming a brother to Widad. Yes big brother that sometimes terlebih manja from his sister. Brother that always asked for MummyDaddy attentions, who always made MummyDaddy headache with his behaviour, who always make us smiles and laugh and angry.
The first meeting between Amirul and Widad at Kajang Hospital went well. He was happy looking at the baby and me. He jump excitedly and keep on kissing Widad’s cheek and requested to hold her. He hugs her, he patting her sister to sleep, he wanted to sleep beside his sister, he got angry whenever people hold her sister. I felt relieve because seeing him welcoming his sister and no such jealousy shown.
However after 1month confinement at MIL’s house, i went back to Kelantan for continue my confinement at my mum’s house and I did not bring along Amirul. I left him with his Daddy and what happened after 2 weeks without mummy and his sister, he started to show his jealousy towards her.
Among his reactions or behaviours showing his jealousy
- Everytime Widad cry for milk , Amirul will ask for milk as well
- When Amirul saw Widad sleep on my lap, He will creep in on my lap
- When I’d took his toys for Widad, He would snatch away the toys from Widad
- When Widad sleep besides me on our queen size bed, He will jump to our bed from his to be us (me, baby and daddy) – just imagine the 4 of us in queen size
- If I play cak-cak with Widad, He will pull my hand to be his companion or attract our attention for him
Why Sibling Rivalry Happen
- A top of all, they think that little sister take away his mummydaddy’s love towards him
- Surrounding people talking more about baby and less about him
- Surrounding people hugs, kisses and cuddle baby not him any more\
How do I overcome this Sibling Rivalry
- Involve Amirul in looking after the baby. eg : Amirul know where was Widad’s diaper, he will patting his sister if she’s crying, he will rock the baby to sleep in her bouncer,
- Spend more time with him. eg : Accompany him watching his favourite cartoon, more play and learning time.
- Compliment. eg : Always compliment him whenever he become a good brother or he did something good.
- Play time together : Whenever I want to play with Widad, I will involve Amirul as well. Cak-cak is our fave game.
- Show equal love towards him : If I’d kiss & hug Widad, same kiss & hug goes to him. Evrything I did to Widad, he will get it as well. I wanted him to know that we love him eventho he need to share with his little sister