THE OPPORTUNITY COST
1. In order to save the life of abandoned babies, we introduced the baby hatch. I truthfully admit that by opening our doors of acceptance, and let the light of hatch baby shinning our society, we will not burst ourselves into tears again. No more news about a dead infant found in a drain. We save the life of innocent babies in future. The mortality rate becomes higher.
2. And we’ll be saving thousands more. Millions. Provided that the baby hatch is available at every inches of our street to cope with rising number of abandoned baby. While the baby hatch gets credit of every life it saved, the premarital sex or zina continues to soar its wings, blackens our morality and leaves us in the dark.
3. When you do economic study, you will get mesmerized with the concept of opportunity cost, how you can relate it with nearly every aspects of our life. When you want A, you have let go of B, because our resources is limited. We cannot get both. Now apply to this topic, if you want to pursue morality from getting deep inside the ocean, you have to let go of baby hatch. Tell the world that we will not tolerate adultery, and they will be punished for the things that they have done. But the government has chosen B, and the opportunity cost is A.
4. When the baby hatch was introduced, I know that the morality of the new generation would be going downward. The question is, are we ready give up, and abandon our morality, just to save the poor abandoned baby?
5. Regardless of how many lives we have saved, we are still unable to throw our safety float to save our morality at the same. And I don’t want to bore you with the probability of how the children would react, how much hatred would register into their soul, and whether they would do the same like their parent, if they know who they really are.
We cannot save both.
OUR PROBLEM STILL REMAINS.
6. 81.4 babies were thrown out like garbage each year. That’s equal to 6.33 babies every months, and the figure is worryingly increasing. No, I can’t watch or hear the news about gruesome death of infant who was found inside a Surau or garbage. It shattered my heart, in gazillion pieces. I just can’t take it. Thanks to Allah, our minister has the answer to our problem. Now the bad news about poor infants is a distant memory. Unfortunately, zina still remains.
“We must not allow ourselves to be held prisoner to the belief that baby hatches encourage premarital sex,”
-that’s what our Minister Shahrizat said.
Yes, minister. We want to believe that it doesn’t encourage adultery. But, How are we going to prevent premarital sex, or the right word, zina, when there’s no strong force of authorities to prohibit that? When our inner self is so crippled, and corrupted with excessive western entertainment? When we didn’t belief in ourselves to have courage to face and fight the true deception of adultery?
7. The baby hatch has received positive feedback since it was introduced on 29th May 2010. Now we, Malaysian with Vision 2020, are as excellent as the developed country like Germany. But, it also received negative feedbacks from decent people. It backfired to everything of what the NGO has done. It’s true, in my personal opinion, that although the baby hatch is saving a lot of innocent lives, it barely resolve our moral issues in our society, especially Muslims.
OUR MORALITY IS AT STAKE
8. Here I quotes a paragraph of a positive feedback about the baby hatch.
“Maybe if we only look at a dark side, we just see that this baby hatch will just encourage people to have sex and abandoned their babies, but if we open up our mind, if we think of these innocent babies that already being victims of inhuman ‘illegal’ parents action, maybe we would think differently. Maybe should just let this baby hatch to be operate, because the baby hatch is not about judging anybody, this baby hatch is just about to save the innocent babies from any threat so that they can have a future and opportunity like anybody else.” [via BillyUniversal]
I also heard that it also gives benefits to unfortunate couples that can’t have a baby. Now, at the baby hatch, they have a lot of choices when they decided to adopt children.
9. And here is one good example of negative feedback;
“Basically, they are encouraging people to have premarital sex and then dump the baby at the baby hatch. It is as simple as that. The sale of condoms will drop. Why bother with birth control when such a thing exists in Malaysia?” [via NewStraitsTimes]
10. It was reported that one teenager gets pregnant every 2.5 days. The morality is at stake. On the other hand, we are also not really good in handling bad news, so that we will use all our power dispel any news about abandoned baby been highlighted into the TV3 Prime Time news.
HERE’S THE SOLUTIONS TO OUR IMMORAL ADULTERY HABIT
[a] To apply the Arab countries judiciary system, Syariah Islamiah, that has been practiced for ages; Hukum Hudud.
[b] Let solve this in metaphysics way; Causality. If A causes B, we have to prevent A from going to happen. Chasing the B is only a waste of time, and money if A appears to be the first problem. Thus, if Premarital Sex, Zina, or Adultery (A) causes Abandoned Babies (B), then why should we goddamn introduced the baby hatch at first place?! We should introduced the hukum hudud instead, embrace the way of Islam.
[c] Lower Down Our Moral Standard. If you are a Malaysian, especially Malays, you have to get married to have legal sex. If performed adultery, which is illegal, you will ruin your family name, you will be banned, and dethroned from the family tree. That our moral standard. To solve this problem, why not lower it down? Lower it down until we satisfy with ourselves. Just like the Western Civilizations. If adultery is legal in everyone’s eyes, then there’s no problem of tangkap khalwat, and no problem of abandoned babies. It is because there’s nothing to be shamed of having a premarital baby in our family. We have lowered down our moral standard, remember? It will solve the problem. But, I will definitely sure that hell is anxiously waiting for us at the Judgement Day.