Since BPA issues is exaggerated among the moms, lets learn safety and health in baby bottles. Talking about BPA related issue and the health concerns really mesmerizing the time I’m studying environmental subject back in the university.
What is BPA :
Bisphenol is the main chemical that leaches out from the plastic in the baby bottles you are using for your child. If you heat a baby bottle up, it will leach Bisphenol A at about 3 to 7 parts per billion into their formula - Ezinearticles
Why BPA in baby bottle is not safe
Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body’s own hormones and may lead to negative health effects -Wikipedia
How to identify bottles with BPA
- Plastics that are marked with the recycling number 7, as they are most likely to contain BPA
Photo by : MaggieMcGeeGoGreen
- This plastics generally clear, hard plastic, though they may be tinted a different color
What to do to prevent exposure of BPA – NIEHS
- Don’t microwave polycarbonate plastic food containers. Polycarbonate is strong and durable, but over time it may break down from over use at high temperatures.
- Polycarbonate containers that contain BPA usually have a #7 on the bottom
- Reduce your use of canned foods.
- When possible, opt for glass, porcelain or stainless steel containers, particularly for hot food or liquids.
- Use baby bottles that are BPA free.
Note : Just a reminder to be careful with the salesperson. At 1st they told me the Basilic bottle is BPA-free. After I double check, the screw-ring and hood are BPA-free but not the bottle. I went back to the shop and change to NUK bottle. Moral of the story,jgn dok pilih botol cantik, pilik yang BPA-free.. huhu
Note : That why breastfeeding is the best. No worry about milk contamination and risk of health problems