photo by : Jackiebonham
Obesity among the school children suddenly become an issues after Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai, risen up the problem. Despite the fact that, this problem has been long become a concern but neglected by us. Children who are obese normally emotionally and psychological effected besides of life-threatening illness .
Suffer from teasing by their peers, discriminated from family and friends, low-self esteem and depression among the psychological effect for these obese children. While stepping to adulthood, the possibility of becoming fat and getting diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease are high.
To avoid thing getting worse, there are various suggestions and recommendations were forwarded to address this problem include:
- Listing Body Mass Index (BMI) in their report card. Kindly be inform that BMI use form children is differ from adults. (Source : The Star)
- Prohibit small hawkers selling junk foods near the school area. (Source : The Star)
- Prohibit junk foods like carbonated drink sold at school’s canteen (Source : Berita Harian )
- All school children need to undergo fitness test (Source : The Star)
- Healthy and Nutritious Foods Starts from Home
As parents, we should play important role in feeding the children. We should closely monitor what goes in our kid’s tummy. No doubt there are some mothers who love to cook and feed the whole family with great food. Thus, we shall have to eat healthy food by the food pyramid.
- Promote Healthy Lifestyle, Avoid Sedentary Lifestyle
We are now bombarded with so many gadgets like Ipad/Ipod, Wii Nintendo, PsP etc. We forget to introduce all the childhood games like galah panjang, tuju selipar, lompat tali to our kids. Forget about sweat but only air-cond condition with junk foods on table.
- Become a Role Model to Children
In order to promote a healthy lifestyle and eating nutritious foods, we as parents has to start first. Cook homemade foods instead of buying outside or fast foods. Bring along children to exercise . Children are good observer, they imitate what we do.
- Junk Foods only once a month
Junk foods only allow once a month in small quantity not a daily foods. Alhamdulillah, Amirul tak teruja bila nampak ice cream, chocolate.. tapi still gigi rongak , gara-gara gigit puting susu masa tido..