Having Amirul who facing speech delay problem is really tough job for me and Mr Hubby. Both of us struggling to teach him to speak. Sometimes its so stressful for us (Me, Mr Hubby & Amirul). But its no longer a stress situation after attended speech therapy session at Putrajaya Hospital.
According to Ms Rosmawati, effective communication with children requires communication style and behaviour appropriate to the age of child. The best parent-child relationships are characterized by a lots of positive communication and interaction on a regular basis about many different things. Do not communicate when there is a conflict. Don’t nag to your infant or toddler when there is a conflict, they don’t understand.
Different stage of age, different style of communication. That the important KEY to have successful communication with child. Infants communicate with gestures and sign languages while toddlers communicate with one/two word sentences. However, when you talk to your pre-schoolar, introduction of cause and effect is needed because they start to understand.
For speech delay children,there are few way to encourage them to communicate like :
- Quick respond and predict their communicative effort can enhance their speech ability.
- Expand on children one or two word communications and build sentences around their words [eg:Blue, your pants are blue]
- A diary to record all their progression. [eg: record his new word, record his new task, record his activity]
- One by one instructions [eg: Please put the ball under the table]
- I LOOK, I SEE, I COMMENT [eg: describe for children what they are doing during play and let them have control]
- Routines and practice. This is very important for them to understand and familiar with the new words